What causes short circuits?
Short circuits can damage your home and equipment. Here's a detailed look at what can trigger and prevent shortcuts.
What is Short Circuit?
A short circuit occurs when some of the current carrying wire touches another wire or circuit and gives the road less electricity. For example, if wires with defective insulation become exposed and touch a metal lamp switch, the current can flow along the lamp switch and cause shock.
Briefly, an electrical short circuit provides the path of least between two conductive points. Lack of distance between the two points means less resistance, which means your short circuit will generate more heat and cause burns and burns.
Cause of short circuit
Shorts can be caused by a variety of problems. Here's a look at the most common causes of short circuits in your home:
Damage Insulation: Old or damaged insulation allows for neutral and live wires to be touched, which can cause short circuits. Nail and screw punctures and age can cause wire casings or insulation to deteriorate and allow short circuits.
Loose connections: Attachments can loosen, sometimes allowing for neutral wires and live touch. Fixing a broken wire connection is difficult and sometimes requires work with a live cable.
Household pests: Animals such as rats, mice and squirrels sometimes chew wires. This can cause the wires to be neutral and live cross and produce short.
Equipment: Old or broken equipment can develop shorts over time. Short circuits in the appliance can occur in plugs, in power cords or in devices. It's best to see technicians in shorts in larger appliances like ovens and dishwashers.